Under the directive of the SDSU President, SDSU VITA is closed effectively immediately.  We do not anticipate opening again until next year.  This is, of course, very bad news.

1. If you are a resident taxpayer there are a number of VITA sites located in San Diego County.  You can find one close to you using this tool: https://irs.treasury. gov/freetaxprep/  I would encourage you to contact the site before visiting to confirm they are going to be open.  Some sites are closing as a result of ongoing health concerns.  Also, if you are a foreign student, the IRS confirmed that no other sites in SD county are currently approved for foreign student tax returns.
2.  You can attempt to self-prepare.  If you qualify, there are a number of online free filing options.  Go to free-file-do-your-federal- taxes-for-free for a selection of available online options.  If you are a foreign student, there is NOT a free filing option available to you. Turbo Tax or H&R Block and many of the other popular tax prep softwares will NOT work for nonresidents/foreign students.  Nonresidents/foreign students must find a software that prepares nonresident returns.  Two options are Sprint Tax or Glaicer Tax Prep https://www.glaciertax. com/Spt/Begin  Note that Glacier Tax Prep is $34 but does NOT do state tax returns (no California or any other state).  Sprint Tax does both - the Federal is a flat rate of $38.  The state starts at $30 but the actual rate is determined based on the complexity of the return and the state.  
3. I have now worked out a third alternative with a small CPA firm located here in San Diego County and they have agreed to serve FOREIGN STUDENTS Federal and State filings. The price is $99 for one federal and including one state return.  Additional state returns are $26.  Anyone over the VITA income limits ($57,000) will be priced at $350 or up (the ACTUAL going rate for a tax return).   This is very competative with the DIY opportunities mentioned above and with the price you would get at H&R Block, etc..  You will have the added assurance that this firm specializes in foreign students.  If you are interest, please contact Hughes and Szuberla at their website to fill out an intake form.   Mention the Promo code “STUDENT SDSU” or “STUDENT UCSD” in your message to secure the discounted pricing.
The IRS is expected to extend the filing deadline (April 15) to a later date but has not done so as of the date and time of this posting.


US Residents

Most taxpayers are US tax residents. If you believe you might be a non-resident for US tax purposes, please visit the Foreign Student page

What to Bring

The following items are needed in order for our volunteers to prepare your tax return. Please take a moment to browse through the list and make sure that you gather all the necessary paperwork before you come. This is a general list; so if you have any other paperwork that you think is pertinent, please bring them with you to the VITA center.

Required items:

  • Must bring valid photo identification for all taxpayers and spouses.
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • A Completed Client Intake Form Form13614-c
  • Proof of Tax Residence status for you, your spouse, and all dependents, if applicable
  • Birth dates for primary, secondary, and dependents on the tax return
  • Tuition statement from your school (Form 1098-T. SDSU Students, Form available here)
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from your banks (Form 1099)
  • All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
  • Bank routing number and account number for Direct Deposit (your bank checkbook)
  • To claim the California Renter's Credit, bring your landlord's name, address, and phone number
  • Total amount paid for day-care, if applicable
  • Day-care provider's identifying number, if applicable
  • A copy of last year's Federal and State tax returns, if available
  • Records to substantiate any other item that you wish to include on your tax return

To book an appointment:

Schedule an Online Appointment