Facebook Pixel Admissions | Undergraduate Business Programs | Fowler College of Business | SDSU


 Undergraduate Admissions

In order to be admitted to the Business program you must first qualify for admission to SDSU. Please consult the SDSU Office of Admissions for more information about how to apply to SDSU. All potential Business majors should request admission as Business Administration majors.

Transfer students must complete certain lower division courses before they can transfer to SDSU. Consult SDSU Transfer Admissions for more information.

If you are accepted to SDSU in Business you will be admitted as a Pre-Business Administration major.

Students who are admitted to SDSU in a major other than Business may change their major after they have met certain unit and GPA requirements.

Please note: Requirements for declaring Pre-Business are different from the requirements for declaring an upper division Business major.

For more information, go to the "Changing Majors/Declaring a Pre-Business Major" section on this page.

To earn a degree in Business you need to qualify to declare an upper division Business major. Only students with a declared upper division major may take upper division courses in the College of Business.

Majors & Specializations

  • Accounting
  • Finance
  • Financial Services
  • General Business
  • Information Systems
  • Management
    • Entrepreneurship
    • Human Resource Management
  • Marketing
    • Integrated Marketing Communications
    • Professional Selling and Sales Management
  • Real Estate


Before you are eligible to declare an upper division major you must:

  • complete at least 60 units of college-level work
  • completed 9 preparation courses for the major with a C or better
  • have a 2.9 overall GPA

These requirements are called the impaction criteria.

Please note: All students are admitted into the pre-business majors until you meet the impaction criteria and declare an upper division major.

Required Courses in the Pre-Business Major

All students wishing to major in Business are admitted to SDSU as pre-business majors. Students usually spend the first half of their college work (whether at SDSU or another college) working on the pre-business impaction requirements.

Students must meet the following impaction criteria to be admitted to an upper division business major:

  1. You must have completed at least 60 college units (SDSU and transfer combined).

  2. You must complete the following 9 prep courses (8 for Accounting majors) with a C or better in each (no C- and no CR/NC grades allowed)

    ACCTG 201: Financial Accounting
    ACCTG 202: Managerial Accounting
    ECON 101: Principles of Economics (Macro)
    ECON 102: Principles of Economics (Micro)
    FIN 240: Legal Environment of Business
    MIS 180: Principles of Information Systems
    RWS 290: Business Communications (formerly BA 290; not required for Accounting majors)
    MATH 120 or MATH 150: Calculus for Business Analysis
    STAT 119 or ECON 201: Elementary Statistics for Business or Statistical Methods
    If you took or are currently enrolled in one or more of these courses at another school, the course you took must be approved by SDSU as equivalent to the SDSU course before you can declare your upper division major. Please visit www.sdsu.edu/tap for course equivalencies.

  3. You must have a 2.90 overall GPA.
    Please be sure your SDSU Degree Evaluation (Degree Audit) is viewable online before you declare upper-division. If you cannot access it from your WebPortal please visit the Office of Advising and Evaluations, SSW 1551. This Evaluation must show the grades that you earned in your prep courses.

  4. Visit the Business Advising Center to Declare
    If you meet the requirements to declare an upper division major you should visit the Business Advising Center (EBA 448, phone 619-594-5828) during the declaration period, which can be found in the "Important Dates" section on this page.
    Note: You will need to bring a copy of your degree evaluation if you can not view it via webportal. The Academic Advising Center (SSW 1551) can print a copy for you.

SDSU will generally accept all college-level transfer units from an accredited school. Acceptance of units, however, does not mean that the content of the course will be accepted as equivalent to any specific course at SDSU. To determine equivalency of content, SDSU has to look at what material was taught in the course.

Lower Division Courses

Courses may be transferred to SDSU from any accredited school. However, transfer courses are considered units only (that is, they give a student units towards graduation but do not fulfill any specific course requirements) unless they are approved by SDSU as being equivalent in content to a specific SDSU course or meeting a specific requirement.

Business courses are considered equivalent to SDSU in one of two ways:

  1. Atriculation

    An articulation is a standing agreement between two schools that certain courses are equivalent. A student who takes an articulated course at another school will have cleared the requirement at SDSU that the course fulfills.


    Grossmont's ECON 120 is articulated to SDSU's ECON 101. A student who has taken ECON 120 at Grossmont College has cleared ECON 101 at SDSU.

    Lists of articulated courses from other schools are available through the web at SDSU's Transfer Admissions Planner and through the statewide articulation charts at http://www.assist.org. We recommend that you check BOTH sites to ensure complete information.

    Please note: SDSU's Transfer Admission Planner website displays what SDSU has on file.

  2. Petition

    If no articulation exists concerning a particular school or course, the student may request to have the course accepted as equivalent to an SDSU course. This is done by filing a petition (called a Request for Adjustment of Academic Requirements) with the appropriate department at SDSU and including enough information about the other school's course for the department to determine that it is equivalent to SDSU's. Please consult the Business Advising Center about petitioning. Please note that the syllabus with topical outline (class schedule) and course description are required for all petitions.

    If the petition is denied, the student will need to take the appropriate course at SDSU to fulfill the requirement.

The rules about determining equivalencies for General Education (non-business) courses are somewhat different. Transfer students entering SDSU should request an evaluation from the Office of Advising and Evaluations to determine which, if any, of their transfer courses need to be petitioned.

Upper Division Courses

There are no articulations for upper division courses in Business. All courses must be petitioned in the manner described above. Please contact the Business Advising Center for information about requirements to petition upper division courses.


Note: The following information applies to students whose major is anything other than a pre-business major and who wish to be a pre-business major. The rules and procedures for declaring an upper division Business major are different.

Admission to the pre-business major is controlled by the College of Business Administration. Students must meet specific requirements in order to be able to change to any pre-business major.

You may change to a pre-business major if you meet one of the following:

  • You have completed 6-29 college units and have an overall GPA of at least 2.0
  • You have completed 30-59 college units and have an overall GPA of at least 2.7
  • You have completed 60 units or more and have an overall GPA of at least 2.9

When you meet one of the requirements listed above, visit the Business Advising Center (EBA 448) for information on how to change your major.

You may not take RWS 290: Business Communications until you have declared your pre-business major. However, you may take all the other major preparatory courses and your general education courses if you are not a pre-business major.

The Declaration Newsletter is an essential guide to help you through the process of declaring:

Download the Spring 2017 Declaration Newsletter

Download the Provisional Declaration Form Spring 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have completed the impaction criteria (earned 60 units, completed the 9 preparation for the major courses with C or better, and 2.9 overall GPA), then you are eligible to declare your upper division major during the declaration period. Please refer to "Important Dates" section on this page to find out when the declaration period is for the semester you will be declaring. If you have completed have earned 60 units and completed the 9 preparation for the major courses with C or better, but your overall GPA is below 2.9, you can request to be placed on the waitlist. There is a new waitlist during each declaration period and you are encouraged to put yourself on the waitlist if you do not have a 2.9 overall GPA.

For information about waitlist deadlines, please refer to the "Important Dates" section on this page.

If you are taking preparation for the major courses at SDSU or another school, your grades must be officially posted before your can declare your upper division major. If your grade is not showing in your degree evaluation, then you can bring an unofficial transcript to the Business Advising Center in EBA 448 to declare.

If you have earned 60 units and completed the 9 preparation for the major courses with C or better, but your overall GPA is below 2.9, you can request to be placed on the waitlist. There is a new waitlist during each declaration period.

If you have questions about discrepancies between the GPA on your degree evaluation and on your unofficial transcript, please consult the Academic Advising Center (SSW 1551, 619-594-6668) for more information.
When you come in to declare your upper division major, you will meet with a business advisor who will review your required course list and suggested program for your major. These advising resources are also available on the Required Courses page of the Business Advising Center website by visiting the Upper Division section.
 There are nine units of upper division general education courses (Explorations) that all SDSU students must take to meet graduation requirements. Refer to the General Education pages in the General Catalog to view these classes. The staff at the Academic Advising Center (SSW 1551) can advise you on how to complete this requirement. Additionally, some business majors require electives that are taught by departments outside of business, which can be taken before declaring the upper division business major. Please visit the Business Advising Center for more information about these courses.