MSA Student Resources

New Graduate Business Student Handbook, Fall 2016 (pdf)

General Advisor (Administrative)
Diane Coning, EBA-448, (619) 594-4188, [email protected]

Faculty Advisers

Accounting Information Systems (AIS)
Dr. C. Janie Chang, (619) 594-8383, [email protected]

Financial Reporting (FAR)
(students with last names A-M)
Dr. Damon Fleming, (619) 594-3735, [email protected]

(students with last names N-Z)
Dr. Yan Luo, (619) 594-1011, [email protected]

Dr. Steve Gill, (619) 594-6273, [email protected]


The Program of Study form may be completed after the student has completed 12 units of study and must be completed no later than the semester before the student anticipates graduating. For example a student who anticipates graduating in Spring 2017 should turn in their POS no later than Fall 2016.

MBA students should speak with their gradaute advisor for advice on completing their POS. MSA, MSIS, and MSBA students are required to complete their POS with their faculty advisor before turning the form into the Graduate Business Programs office.

Graduate business students enrolled in a state-supported MBA, MSBA, or MSA program are charged the Graduate Professional Business Fee for every SDSU course taken to fulfill graduation requirements. This includes all SDSU courses included on a student's official program of study and prerequisite courses listed in the Graduate Bulletin or required by the student's advisor.

Students may be exempt from the fee in the following situations:

  • Students enrolled in the concurrent MBA/MA in Latin American Studies are charged the professional fee on business courses but not on courses with Latin American content.
  • Students are not charged the professional fee for courses that are not used to meet degree requirements (i.e., courses that are not included on official Program of Studies and are not program prerequisites).

To request that the professional fee be waived for a course, complete the Fee Waiver Request Form and return it to the Graduate Business Programs Office, EBA-448. Complete a separate form for each course. Waivers cannot be granted for courses taken in past semesters.

Download Fee Waiver Request Form

 Teaching associateships and graduate non-teaching assistantships in business administration are available to a limited number of qualified students.

Download applications and additional information:

 A Graduation Application must be completed via WebPortal by each student in the semester they anticipate graduating. Students should visit the Office of the Registrar's Apply to Graduate page for information about applying online and filing periods. There will be a nonrefundable $55 filing fee when you submit the application.
Students who attended courses that are different from those listed on the student's Program of Study (POS) will need to complete the Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements. Under the "Student Request" section, the student should list the courses they wish to have removed from their program of study as well as those that should be added to their program of study and provide a reason for the changes. The full name and number of each course and the number of units awarded for each course should be listed.

MSA and MSBA students must have this form signed by their faculty advisor before delivering the form to the Graduate School of Business office. MBA students may bring the completed form directly to the Graduate School of Business office.

Download Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements from Graduate Affairs website

Students who are currently matriculated in a graduate business program (MBA, MSA, MSIS, or MSBA) may apply to change programs within the College of Business Administration by submitting the Request to Change Concentration/Specialization form. Students who are currently in a degree program outside of the College of Business should use the Request to Change Degree/Major Objective Between Departments form. Both forms are available on the Graduate Affairs website:

Download Request to Change Degree Objective from Graduate Affairs website

Submission of the form does not guarantee that the student will be permitted to switch degree programs.

If approved, a student is allowed to repeat a course in which a WU has been assigned. The original WU grade will remain on the permanent record, but only the second grade will be used in computation of the grade point average. A course in which a WU has been earned may be repeated only once.

Download Repeat WU (Unauthorized withdrawal) Graded Courses from Graduate Affairs website

Are you curious about the learning outcomes of a class, which books are typically used, and which projects are typically required? Use the Syllabi Collection to learn more about courses taught in previous semesters at SDSU.