The Department of Marketing at San Diego State University offers a specialization in Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC). This specialization will allow students interested in careers in advertising, promotions, communications, public relations, digital marketing, and related areas the opportunity to take courses more geared toward these vocations.
Is it a special degree?
A specialization in IMC leads to a BS degree in marketing. The specialization is not indicated on the diploma. The difference between the specialization in IMC and the regular Marketing degree is in the courses that one takes. Specified courses in the School of Journalism & Media Studies can be used to fulfill elective requirements.
Who should specialize in IMC?
Students interested in a career in marketing communications in an agency or organization, media sales, or other communications related industry, may wish to consider the specialization.
Important: Marketing majors & IMC specializations course sequencing requirements are strictly enforced. Download sequencing (Word doc).
- BA 323 Fundamentals of Finance
- BA 350 Management & Organizational Behavior
- BA 360 Intro to Operations and Supply Chain Management
- BA 370 Marketing
- BA 405 International Business Strategy & Integration OR
- BA 404 Small Business Consulting
- MIS 301 Statistical Analysis for Business
- MKT 371 Consumer & Buyer Behavior
- MKT 373 Integrated Marketing Communications
- MKT 470 Marketing Research
- MKT 472 Advanced Integrated Marketing Communications
Approved electives have been adjusted to reflect the new prefixes for Journalism and Media Studies:
Any 4 of the following:
- JMS 440: Management of Media Organizations (formerly COMM 440)
- JMS 460: Principles of Advertising (formerly COMM 460)
- JMS 480: Principles of Public Relations (formerly COMM 480)
- JMS 560: Advertising Research (JMS 460; other prerequisites waived)
- JMS 565: Advertising Campaigns (No pre-registration possible; add during class period)
- MKT 476: Internet/Interactve Marketing (BA 370 with a C)
And, there are several new courses you may petition to use in your program as electives:
File a RAAR with Marketing to use any of these as an elective.
- JMS 574: International Advertising
- JMS 596: Selected Topics
- PSY 340: Social Psychology
- PSY 380: Cognitive Psychology
- SOC 335: Mass Communication & Popular Culture
- Fulbright Program: Attend an information session and begin the application process now. The application process is quite lengthy. View Fulbright Information Sessions
- Next Generation Leaders (NextGen) program
- Academy of Marketing Science
- American Association of Advertising Agencies
- American Marketing Association
- Direct Marketing Association
- eMarketing Association
- Newspaper Association of America
- Outdoor Advertising Association of America