This research monograph sets out a framework for the analysis of institutional environments, national corporate governance mechanisms, and IFRS adoption in European countries as the interconnected key tools of modern public corporations. It examines corporate governance practices and the lessons that can be learned from the harmonization of accounting principles in Europe while considering the institutional architecture of business environments there. This research monograph is a joint research project of the International Business, Economics and Accounting Collaborative Network (iBEACON).
Published by Rutledge 2012.
The Financial Crisis Impact on Institutions and Accounting Practices Internationally
This monograph sets out a framework for the analysis of institutional environments and accounting practices around the world during the pre-crisis period, followed by an examination of the impact of the crisis. It scrutinizes the changing roles of debt and equity markets and banking; the shift in accounting practices and capital financing choices due to the economic downturn; and the lessons that can be obtained from the financial crisis around the world, while considering the institutional architecture of business environments there. This is especially timely work in the light of the latest rise of nationalistic sentiments in different economies around the world that seems to replace ongoing for a long time global market integration.
Work in progress, planed to be published by Rutledge, Spring 2019.
- Vera Palea, "IAS/IFRS and Financial Reporting Quality: Lessons from the European Experience," China Journal of Accounting Research, 2013, in press.
- Vera Palea, "Fair value Accounting and Its Usefulness to Financial Statement Users", Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, 2013, in press.
- Vera Palea, 2012, "The Effects of the European Regulation 1606/2002 on Market Efficiency: Early Evidence from Empirical Research", The European Union Review, Vol. 17, No 3, ed: European Community Studies Association (ECSA).
- Vera Palea, 2013, "Private Equity Fair Value Measurement: A Critical Perspective on IFRS 13", The Australian Accounting Review, Forthcoming.
- Vera Palea in "Financial Reporting Under IAS/IFRS - Theoretical Background and Capital Market Evidence: A European Perspective", 2013, Peter Lang, Bern, Switzerland.
- Aubert, F., Université d'Auvergne - IAE, France, Dumontier, P., HEC, School of Economics, Switzerland "Analyzing Analysts' Expertise: Did Analysts Fully Anticipate the Impact of IFRS Adoption on Earning? The European Evidence"
- Aubert, F. (2009) "Determinants of Corporate Financial Reporting Lag: The French Empirical Evidence". Journal of Accounting and Taxation, Vol. 1(3), September, pp. 053-060.
- Aubert, F. (2010) "The Relative Informativeness of Pro Forma and GAAP Earnings Announcements: the French Evidence". Journal of Accounting and Taxation (Forthcoming).
- Aubert, F. and G. Grudnitski (2010) "IFRS Adoption in the European Union". In: Law, Corporate Governance and Accounting. European Perspectives (Ed. Victoria Krivogorsky), Routledge, London Series: Routledge Studies in Accounting, 256 pages (forthcoming); ISBN: 978-0-415-87186-0
- Aubert, F. (2010) "Determinants of Annual Financial Disclosure Timing: an Empirical Examination with French Data". ATINER Collective book (forthcoming).
- Aubert, F., and W. Louhichi (2010) "Révisions de Bénéfices des Analystes Financiers et Avertissements aux Résultats"
- Aubert, F., and G. Grudnitski (2009) "The Impact and Importance of Mandatory Adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards in Europe". Under review for Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting.
- Aubert, F. and W. Louhichi (2009) "L’impact Informationnel des Avertissements aux Résultats sur l’annonce des Résultats Comptables Annuels: le cas du Marché des Actions d’Euronext Paris". Under review for (3ème soumission) Comptabilité-Contrôle-Audit.
- Blanas, G. and G. Iatridis (2008) "Project Oriented Organizational Competences: The Case of Large Construction Companies Listed in the Athens Stock Exchange". International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research, 6 (1), pp. 37-48.
- Cañibano Calvo, L., B. García Osma, and A. Gisbert Clemente, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain "The Determinants of Benchmark Beating Behavior in Spain"
- Chang, J.C., A.P. Tang, and V. Krivogorsky "The Impact of Regulatory Changes and the SEC’s Investigation on Option Backdating Firms’ Corporate Governance"
- Ernstberger, J. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/author=623813
- Ernstberger, J., M. Stich, and O. Vogler, University of Regensburg, Germany "Governance Reforms, Earnings Quality and the Cost of Equity Capital: Evidence from the German Market"
- Grudnitski, G. and F. Aubert (2010) "Analysts’ Forecasts: What They Could Be Telling us about the Impact of IFRS on Earnings Management in Europe". Under review for the Journal of Accounting and Public Policy.
- Grudnitski, G. and F. Aubert "The Impact and Importance of Mandatory Adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards in Europe"
- Grudnitski, G. and F. Aubert (2010) "The Impact of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) on Opportunistic Earnings Management Behavior"
- Grudnitski, G. and F. Aubert (2010/2011) "The Economic Determinants of non-GAAP Earnings Disclosure: the U.S. Evidence"
- Haller, A. and J. Löffelmann (presented at the EAA Conference 2009) "Banks as Major Addressees of Financial Statements of Small and Medium-sized Entities (SMEs) - Empirical Results of a Study about Banks’ view on Financial Statements"
- Haller, A. and J. Löffelmann (presented at the EAA Conference 2009) "Publication Timing of Financial Statements - An Empirical Analysis of Listed Companies in Germany"
- Haller, A., J. Ernstberger, and M. Froschhammer "Implications of the mandatory transition from national GAAP to IFRS - Empirical evidence from Germany". Published in: Advances in Accounting incorporating Advances in International Accounting, Vol 25 (2009), pp. 226-236.
- Iatridis, G. (2004) "Translation Gains and Losses and Firms’ Accounting Choices: UK Evidence On and Before SSAP 20". International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, 1 (3), pp. 304-341.
- Iatridis, G. and N. Joseph (2005) "A Conceptual Framework of Accounting Policy Choice based on SSAP 20". Managerial Auditing Journal, 20 (7), pp. 763-778.
- Iatridis, G. and N. Joseph (2005) "An Empirical Investigation of the UK Stock Market Response to the Implementation of SSAP 20 "Foreign Currency Translation"". Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 1, pp. 108-126.
- Iatridis, G. and N. Joseph (2006) "Characteristics of UK Firms Related to Timing of Adoption of SSAP No. 20". Accounting and Finance, 46 (3), pp. 429-455.
- Iatridis, G. (2007) "An Empirical Assessment of Special Accounting Issues and Financial Attributes Relating to the Accounting Treatment of Translation Gains and Losses: The UK Case". Review of Accounting and Finance, 6 (1), pp. 59-85.
- Iatridis, G. and G. Blanas (2007) "An Empirical Assessment of the Financial Attributes of Firms Listed on the Athens Stock Exchange". The Journal of Applied Business Research, 23 (4), pp. 117-139.
- Iatridis, G. (2008) "Accounting Disclosure and Firms’ Financial Attributes; Evidence from the UK Stock Market". International Review of Financial Analysis, 17 (2), pp. 219-241.
- Iatridis, G. and G. Kadorinis (2009) "Earnings Management and Firm Financial Motives: A Financial Investigation of UK Listed Firms". International Review of Financial Analysis, 18 (4), pp. 164-173.
- Iatridis, G. and S. Valahi (2010) "Voluntary IAS 1 Accounting Disclosures Prior to Official IAS Adoption; An Empirical Investigation of UK Firms". Research in International Business and Finance, 24 (1), pp. 1-14.
- Iatridis, G. and S. Rouvolis (2010) "The Post Adoption Effects of the Implementation of the International Financial Reporting Standards in Greece". International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, 19 (1), pp. 55-65.
- Iatridis, G. (forthcoming) "IFRS Adoption and Financial Statement Effects: The UK Case". International Research Journal of Finance and Economics.
- Iatridis, G. and G. Kilirgiotis (forthcoming) "Incentives for Fixed Asset Revaluations: The UK Evidence". Journal of Applied Accounting Research.
- Iatridis, G. (forthcoming), "Implementation of International Financial Reporting Standards and the Quality of Financial Statement Information". International Review of Financial Analysis.
- Iatridis, G. and D. Dalla (forthcoming), "The Impact of IFRS Implementation on Greek listed Companies: An Industrial Sector and Stock Market Index Analysis". International Journal of Managerial Finance.
- Krivogorsky, V., J.C. Chang, and E.L. Black. "Analysis of Corporate Characteristics Driving Companies to Harmonization: Evidence from the European Union" Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1488336
- Krivogorsky, V., G. Grudnitski, and G. Burton "Dominant Owners and Financial Performance of Continental European Firms" Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1086469
- Krivogorsky, V., G. Grudnitski, and W. Dick "Bank Debt and Performance of Continental European Firms" Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1209022
- Krivogorsky, V. and W. Dick "Corporate Governance Regulations and Practices in Europe - Comparative Study" Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1274184
- Krivogorsky, V. and G. Grudnitski (2010) "Country-Specific Institutional Effects on Ownership: Concentration and Performance of Continental European Firms" Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1115433
- Krivogorsky, V., F. Aubert, and W. Benjamin (2010) "Earnings Financial Analysts’ Forecasts and Forecasting Personalities"
- A. Bhimani, M. Gulamhussen, Samuel Lopes. "Accounting and non-accounting determinants of default: An analysis of privately-held firms". 2010. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy.
- Lopes, S. (2009) "The Effectiveness of the Auditor’s Going Concern Evaluation as an External Governance Mechanism: Evidence from Loan Defaults". The Internacional Journal of Accounting, 44/3. The effectiveness of the auditor's going-concern evaluation as an external governance mechanism: Evidence from loan defaults pp. 239-255
- Lopes, S. and T. Nunes "A Simulation Study on the Impact of Correlation Between LGD and EAD on Loss Calculation when Different LGD Definitions Are Considered". Journal of Banking Regulation.
- Rajkamal Iyer, José-Luis Peydró, Samuel Da-Rocha-Lopes, and Antoinette Schoar "Interbank Liquidity Crunch and the Firm Credit Crunch: Evidence from the 2007–2009 Crisis" Rev. Financ. Stud. (2014) 27 (1): 347-372 first published online October 7, 2013 doi:10.1093/rfs/hht056
- Alnoor Bhimani, Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen, Samuel da Rocha Lopes Jan 2014, Owner liability and financial reporting information as predictors of firm default in bank loans Review of Accounting Studies
- Alnoor Bhimani, Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen, Samuel da Rocha Lopes Dec 2013, The Role of Financial, Macroeconomic, and Non-financial Information in Bank Loan Default Timing Prediction European Accounting Review
- Messis, P., G. Iatridis, and G. Blanas (2006) "An Empirical Assessment of CAPM, Market Model and APT; Evidence from the Greek Stock Market". Journal of International Business and Economy, 7 (1), pp. 87-117.
- Messis, P., G. Iatridis, and G. Blanas (2006) "Estimating the Expected Returns of Value Strategies: Fama and French Three-Factor Model vs. Arbitrage Pricing Theory; Evidence from the Athens Stock Market". International Journal of Finance, 18 (3), pp. 4072-4104.
- Messis, P., G. Iatridis, and G. Blanas (2007) "CAPM and the Efficacy of Higher Moment CAPM in the Athens Stock Market; An Empirical Approach". International Journal of Applied Economics, 4 (1), pp. 60-75.
- Wallace, J., V. Krivogorsky, and K. Ferris (2009) "Shifting Paradigms for Regulating Executive Compensation: An Analysis of Accounting
and Tax Standards" Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1561253