Bloomberg Certification (BMC)
What is Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC)?
Effective Wednesday, August 31st 2016, the Bloomberg Essentials BESS GO function is replaced with the new Bloomberg Market Concepts BMC GO function.
BMC is an 8 hour self-paced e-learning course that provides a visual introduction to the financial markets. BMC consists of 4 modules – Economic Indicators, Currencies, Fixed Income and Equities – woven together from Bloomberg data, news, analytics and television. More information on the course modules and learning outcomes is available at BMC GO on the terminal. The full professor syllabus is available by typing BPS GOinto the terminal, clicking on “Audience Specific” then “Education” then “Bloomberg Market Concepts.”
Students have been particularly excited about the resume/CV-boosting certificate of completion and the signaling value that stems from adding BMC to the Certificates section of their LinkedIn profile. Additionally, BMC has built-in reporting functionality so that you can easily track how students performed on the 120 knowledge checks and case studies that are incorporated into the course.
Requirements for Certification:
Complete 5 out of 8 sessions offered by Bloomberg (available on the terminal in the Financial Markets Laboratory, 261 Love Library)
*4 core videos are required and then you can select one other Market Sector video
|Core Videos (all 4 required)||Market Sector Videos (select one)|
|Getting Started||Equity Essentials|
|Bloomberg News||Fixed Income Essentials|
|Market Monitors and Launchpad||Foreign Exchange (FX) Essentials|
Starting Bloomberg Market Concepts Training
You must create your own Bloomberg user ID and login.
To Create A Personal Username and Password
- Launch Bloomberg
- Press the CONN DFLT key on the upper right of the keyboard
- When the username/password option appears, select the link to create a new user.
- You will be prompted to enter your name and create a username/password. Bloomberg must validate you before you can proceed. Choose how you want to receive your validation code: SMS Text Message is the preferred option using your mobile phone.
- Once you receive your validation code, enter it into Bloomberg; once it is successfully received, you may be prompted to complete a few additional informational questions.
- Each time you use Bloomberg to take a session, you will need to login using your personal username/password;
Videos and Exams
- Type: B E S S GO in the upper left corner. This takes you to the online training program screen.
- Begin with 2) Getting Started to complete the 4 Core Videos.
- Enter B E S S GO; then select 6 GO
- You must make 75% or greater on each exam to pass.
Note: You are allowed to re-take exams once by contacting the Help Desk.
Tip: Take advantage of the dual-screen stations while taking the exam. It is highly recommended that you take the exam immediately after completing the video, rather than waiting.
Acknowledgement of Completion
To obtain your certificate, type: B E S S GO; then select 6 GO. Your certificate will be emailed to you (in PDF format) within 2 weeks of the request. No paper hard copied are mailed.
Where do I complete the training?
On a Bloomberg Terminal located in Financial Markets Laboratory, Love Library 261.
Is there a charge?
The program is free of charge to SDSU students.
How long will it take to complete the program?
Approximately 5 hours total. Most videos last 30-40 minutes. Plan for 1 hour per video (the time to take the exam plus the time for the video).
How do I get started?
Create a personal username and password
Is there a time limit?
At this time, Bloomberg does not require that you complete the training program within a set timeframe.
How many questions are on each exam?
Each exam contains about 30 questions.
What score is required to pass an exam?
You must make 75% or higher on each exam to pass.
Can I retake an exam?
You may retake each exam one time.
What if I must leave while taking an exam?
The exam will be saved under your login, but it is recommended that you complete it within 24 hours.
How do I request my Acknowledgement of Completion certificate?
Type 6 GO from the Bloomberg Market Concepts menu.
HELP HELP – press the HELP key (upper left of the keyboard) twice to chat live with Bloomberg Support.
All cheat sheets are in PDF format unless noted otherwise.
- Options Cheat Sheet
- Futures Cheat Sheet
- Fixed-Income Derivatives Cheat Sheet
- Swaps Cheat Sheet
- Convertibles Cheat Sheet
- Risk Management Cheat Sheet
- Equity Research & Analysis Cheat Sheet
- Company Earnings Cheat Sheet
- Economic Analysis Cheat Sheet
- Tracking Equities Cheat Sheet
- Technical Analysis Cheat Sheet
- Portfolio Analysis Cheat Sheet
Fixed Income Projects
- Fixed Income Cheat Sheet
- Municipal Bonds Cheat Sheet
- Mortgage-Backed Securities Cheat Sheet
- Loans and High-Yield Debt Cheat Sheet
- Syndicated Loans Cheat Sheet