Martina Musteen, Ph.D.
- Student Services East
Mail Code: 8238
Dr. Musteen received her PhD from the University of Kansas and is currently a Professor at San Diego State University (SDSU) College of Business Administration where she has taught courses in strategic management, international business and international entrepreneurship on undergraduate, graduate and executive level. Dr. Musteen has also taught in various other programs in the U.S. as well as in Taiwan, Italy, France and Mexico and won multiple teaching awards. Dr. Musteen serves as a Faculty Director of the Center for International Business Education and Research (SDSU CIBER) and is a Senior Editor for Journal of World Business.
Dr. Musteen research interests include internationalization process of entrepreneurial firms, offshoring, corporate reputation and foreign modes of entry. Her papers have been presented in numerous international academic conferences and published in the Journal of Management, Journal of International Business Studies, British Journal of Management, Journal of World Business, Leadership Quarterly, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, Management International Review, and Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice. Dr. Musteen is actively engaged in both the academic and business community. Please see more about her activities on her personal website.
Dr. Chang is active and productive in research. She has studied issues in auditing, accounting and information systems to investigate information processing of experts, and cross-cultural issues related to professional judgments and decisions in auditing and managerial accounting. Her studies have been published in Abacus, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Behavioral Research in Accounting, Data Base, the International Journal of Accounting, Journal of Accounting Literature, Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Review of Business Information Systems, etc. In addition, she has presented many papers at national and international meetings of major associations and institutions. She received her Ph.D. from the University of California, Irvine.
- Ph.D, University of Kansas
- Chmelik, E., Musteen, M., Ahsan, M. (2015). Measures of performance in the context of international social ventures: An exploratory study. Journal of Social Entrepreneurship.
- Datta, D., Musteen, M., Basuil, D. (2015). Influence of managerial ownership and compensation structure on establishment mode choice: The moderating role of host country political risk. Management International Review.
- Ahsan, M., DeNoble, A., Musteen, M., Zheng, C. (2015) Nascent Networks in Embryonic Firms: Factors Influencing Network Development and Success. Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Boston, MA (Presenter)
- Ahsan, M., Musteen, M. (2015) The role of international venturing in innovation among US SMEs. Academy of Management, Vancouver, Canada (Presenter)
- Sambharya, R., Musteen, M. (2014). Institutional environment and Entrepreneurship: An empirical study across countries. Journal of International Entrepreneurship.
- Musteen, M., Datta, D., Butts, M. (2014). Do international networks and foreign market knowledge facilitate SME internationalization? Evidence from the Czech Republic. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Vol. 38, 749-774.
- Musteen, M., Ahsan, M. (2014) Intellectual capital and offshoring of high-end activities by SMEs: An empirical examination. USASBE annual conference, Forth Worth, TX, U.S.A (Presenter)
- Musteen, M. (2014) The role of non-economic factors in offshoring decisions: A qualitative analysis. Academy of International Business conference
- Ahsan, M., Musteen, M., Park, T. (2014) Offshoring of knowledge activities: An empirical study of US. and South Korean SMEs. Academy of International Business conference, Vancouver, Canada (Presenter)
- Zheng, C., Musteen, M. (2014) The impact of remittances on opportunity and necessity-based entrepreneurial activities. Academy of International Business conference
- DiGregorio, D., Musteen, M., Thomas, D. (2014) Alertness to International Business Opportunities: Firm Characteristics, Experience & Networks. Academy of Management conference, Philadelphia
- Musteen, M., Datta, D., Francis, J. (2014). Early internationalization by firms in transition economies into developed markets: The role of international networks. Global Strategy Journal, Vol. 4, 221-237.
- Chmelik, E., Musteen, M. (2013) Measures of Performance in the Context of International Social Ventures. USASBE annual conference, San Francisco, CA
- Sundaramurthy, C., Musteen, M., Randel, A. E. (2013). Social Value Creation: A Qualitative Study of Social Entrepreneurs in India. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, Vol. 18 (2), 1350011-20. http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscinet/jde
- Musteen, M., Ahsan, M. (2013). Beyond cost: The role of intellectual capital in offshoring and innovation in young firms. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Vol. 37, 421-434.
- Musteen, M., Rhyne, L., Zheng, C. (2013). Asset or constyraint: Corporate reputation and MNCs' involvement in the least developed countries. Journal of World Business, Vol. 48, 321-328.
- Sundaramurthy, C., Zheng, C., Musteen, M., Francis, J., Rhyne, L. (2012) Bricolage and Social Value Creation Across Countries. Academy of Management Meetings
- Musteen, M., Datta, D. K. (2011). Learning about foreign markets: A study of Czech SMEs. Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Vol. 9 (2), 91-109.
- Musteen, M., Barker III, V. L., Liang, X. (2011). Personality, perceptions and retrenchment in response to decline: Evidence from a decision-making study. Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 22, 926-941.
- Ahsan, M., Musteen, M. (2011). Flexibility, Learning, and Control: Entry Mode Strategy under Uncertainty. Current Topics in Management.
- Sundaramurthy, C., Zheng, C., Musteen, M., Francis, J., Rhyne, L. (2011) Bricolage and Social Value Creation Across Countries. Strategic Management Society, San Diego, CA (Presenter)
- Ahsan, M., Musteen, M. (2011). Entry Mode Strategies and Uncertainty: A Review and Extension. International Journal of Management Reviews, Vol. 13, 376-392.
- Musteen, M., Datta, D. K., Kemmerer, B. (2010). Corporate reputation: Do board characteristics matter?. British Journal of Management, Vol. 21 (2), 498-510.
- Musteen, M., Barker III, V. L., Beaten, V. (2010). The influence of CEO tenure and attitude toward change on organizational approaches to innovation. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, Vol. 46 (3), 360-387.
- Musteen, M., Francis, J., Datta, D. K. (2010) International networks and the “born global” phenomenon: Evidence from a transition economy. Academy of International Business, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Musteen, M., Francis, J., Datta, D. K. (2010). The influence of international networks on internationalization speed and performance: A study of Czech SMEs. Journal of World Business, Vol. 45 (3), 197-205.
- Ahsan, M., Haried, P., Musteen, M. (2010). Understanding the Relationship between Uncertainty and the IT Offshoring Decision: A Conceptual Framework. Academy of Information and Management Sciences Journal, Vol. 13 (2), 1-24.
- Musteen, M., Francis, J., Datta, D. (2010) International Networks And The “Born Global” Phenomenon: Evidence From A Transition Economy. 2010 Academy of International Business, Rio Di Janiero, Brazil
- Musteen, M., Datta, D. K., Herrmann, P. (2009). Ownership structure and CEO compensation: Implications for the choice of foreign market entry mode. Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 40, 321-338.
- Liang, X., Musteen, M., Datta, D. K. (2009). Business strategy orientation and the choice of foreign market entry mode: An empirical examination. Management International Review, Vol. 49 (3), 269-290.
- Gregorio, D. D., Musteen, M., Thomas, D. E. (2009). Offshoring as a source of international competitive advantage for SMEs. Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 40 (6), 969-988.
- Datta, D. K., Musteen, M., Herrmann, P. (2009). Board characteristics, managerial incentives and the choice between foreign acquisitions and international joint ventures. Journal of Management, Vol. 35, 928-953.
- Musteen, M., Ahsan, M. (2009) Beyond Cost: The role of intellectual capital in SME offshoring and innovation. Academy of Management Conference, Chicago, IL, U.S.A
- Ahsan, M., Musteen, M. (2009) Uncertainties and multinationals entry strategies: A two-dimensional framework. Academy of International Business Conference, San Diego, CA, U.S.A
- Ahsan, M., Haried, P., Musteen, M. (2009) Understanding the Relationship between IT Offshoring and Uncertainty: A Conceptual Framework. Academy of International Business Conference, San Diego, CA, U.S.A
- Gregorio, D. D., Musteen, M., Thomas, D. E. (2008). International New Ventures: The cross-border nexus of individuals and opportunities. Journal of World Business, Vol. 43 (2), 186-196.
[The information on this page is provided by the user and is not to be construed as an official statement by San Diego State University. The user takes full responsibility for the information presented.]