George (Joe) E. Belch, Ph.D.
Dr. George E. Belch is Professor of Marketing and Chair of the Marketing Department at San Diego State University where he teaches Strategic Marketing Planning, Integrated Marketing Communications, and Consumer/Customer Behavior. Prior to coming to San Diego State he was a member of the faculty in the Graduate School of Management at the University of California, Irvine. He received his Ph.D. in marketing from the University of California, Los Angeles. Before entering academia, Dr. Belch was a marketing representative for the E.I. DuPont Company. He also worked as a research analyst for the DDB Needham Worldwide advertising agency.Read More…
Dr. Belch’s research interests are in the areas of marketing strategy, consumer decision making, and integrated marketing communications. His current research focuses primarily on consumers’ processing of advertising information and the use of this information in the attitude formation process. He has authored or co-authored more than 25 articles in leading academic journals including The Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Advertising, and Journal of Business Research. He is also the co-author of the popular textbook, Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective, which is published by Irwin/McGraw Hill. This book is now in its ninth edition and is the leading text on advertising and promotion in business schools throughout the world. In 2000 the Marketing Educators’ Association selected Dr. Belch as the Marketing Educator of the Year for his career achievements as a teacher and scholar and contributions to the marketing discipline.
Dr. Belch has taught executive development classes for various universities including San Diego State, Southern Methodist University, University of California, Berkeley, the University of California, Irvine and the Thunderbird American Graduate School of International Management. He has also conducted seminars on marketing planning and strategy for a number of multinational companies including Sprint, Microsoft, Fluor Daniel, Qualcomm, Arbitron, MP3.Com, Square D Corporation, Armstrong World Industries, Sterling Software, Siliconix, and Texas Industries.
- Ph.D., University of California - Los Angeles, Marketing.
- Belch, G. E., Belch, M. Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective. 1 (10th ed.). Burr Ridge, IL: McGraw Hill/Irwin.
- Calderon, J., Ayala, G. X., Elder, J., Belch, G. E., Castro, I. A., Weibel, N., Pickrel, J. L. (forthcoming). What happens when parents and children go grocery shopping? An observational study of Latino dyads in Southern California, USA. Health Education & Behavior.
- Belch, G. E., Belch, M. (2014) Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective. 1 (10th ed.). Burr Ridge, IL: McGraw Hill/Irwin.
- Belch, G. E., Belch, M. (2013). The Future of Creativity in Advertising. Journal of Promotion Management, Vol. 19 (4), 395-399.
- Belch, G. E., Belch, M. (2013). A content analysis study of the use of celebrity endorsers in magazine advertising. International Journal of Advertising, Vol. 32 (3), 369-389.
- Belch, G. E. (2011). Adolescents’ Use of Indoor Tanning: A Large-Scale Evaluation of Psychosocial, Environmental and Policy Level Correlates. American Journal of Public Health.
- Belch, G. E. (2007) Evaluating the Effectiveness of Elements of Integrated Marketing Communications: A Review of Research. 1. ICFAI University Press.
- Belch, G. E. (2006). Comparing two methods of measuring legislation compliance among indoor tanning facilities. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Vol. 54, 433-439.
- Belch, G. E., Brodowsky, G. (2006). As Seen on TV and Now in a Marketing Classroom Near You: The Infomercial. Marketing Education Review, Vol. 16 (1).
[The information on this page is provided by the user and is not to be construed as an official statement by San Diego State University. The user takes full responsibility for the information presented.]