Chamu Sundaramurthy, Ph.D.
Dr. Chamu Sundaramurthy is a professor of management and chair of the Management Department. She joined SDSU in 2003, after having served on the faculty at the University of Kentucky and the University of Cincinnati. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and practiced corporate and taxation law in India before entering academia.
She has extensive experience teaching undergraduate, graduate, and executive courses in strategic management and international business. In addition to supervising student field cases, she has served for over a decade as the strategic management area coordinator. Dr. Sundaramurthy is the recipient of multiple teaching awards, most recently the 2017 Fowler College of Business Outstanding Teaching Award.Read More…
Dr. Sundaramurthy researches on a range of inter-related topics in corporate governance, entrepreneurship, and innovation in non-profits, family businesses, IPOs, and large public corporations. In essence, she explores the impact of governance systems on organizational decisions and firm performance. Her work is published in leading journals such as the Academy of Management Review, Strategic Management Journal, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Management, Journal of World Business, Managerial and Decision Economics, Multinational Business Review, Family Business Review, Business and Society, and Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship. In 2010, she received the College’s Outstanding Faculty Contribution award for research.
Dr. Chamu Sundaramurthy has played an active role in shared governance by serving on and chairing, for multiple years, the University Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Panel; the panel makes recommendations to the Provost on promotion and tenure of faculty in the seven colleges on the main campus, as well those on the Imperial Valley campus. She is an award-winning reviewer who serves on the editorial boards of Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Managerial Issues and International Strategic Change Management, in addition to having served, multiple terms, on the board of the Academy of Management Review.
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Armstrong, K., Ahsan, M., Sundaramurthy, C. (2018). Microfinance Ecosystem: How Connectors, Interactors, and Institutionalizers Co-create Value. Business Horizons.
- Sundaramurthy, C., Kor, Y., Pukthuanthong-Le, K. (2015) ENHANCING THE VALUE OF DIRECTORS’ HUMAN AND SOCIAL CAPITAL: THE ROLE OF THE BOARD’S LEADERSHIP STRUCTURE. Academy of Management Meetings, 2015, Vancouver
- Sundaramurthy, C., Pukthuanthong-Le, K., Kor, Y. (2014). Positive and Negative Synergies between the CEO’s and the Corporate Board’s Human and Social Capital: a Study of Bio-technology Firms. Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 35 (6), 845–868. http://smj.strategicmanagement.net/
- Knapp, J. R., Smith, B. R., Kreiner, G., Sundaramurthy, C., Barton, S. (2013). Managing Boundaries through Identity Work: The Role of Individual and Organizational Identity Tactics. Family Business Review, Vol. 26 (4), 333-355. http://fbr.sagepub.com/
- Sundaramurthy, C., Musteen, M., Randel, A. E. (2013). Social Value Creation: A Qualitative Study of Social Entrepreneurs in India. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, Vol. 18 (2), 1350011-20. http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscinet/jde
- Sundaramurthy, C. (2012) The Interactive Value of the CEO’s and the Corporate Board’s Human Capital: A Study of Biotechnology IPOs. Academy of Management (Presenter)
- Sundaramurthy, C., Zheng, C., Musteen, M., Francis, J., Rhyne, L. (2012) Bricolage and Social Value Creation Across Countries. Academy of Management Meetings
- Sundaramurthy, C., Pukthuanthong-Le, K., Kor, Y. (2012) The Interactive Value of the CEO’s and the Corporate Board’s Human Capital: A Study of Biotechnology IPOs. Academy of Management Meetings
- Sundaramurthy, C., Zheng, C., Musteen, M., Francis, J., Rhyne, L. (2011) Bricolage and Social Value Creation Across Countries. Strategic Management Society, San Diego, CA (Presenter)
- Kor, Y., Sundaramurthy, C. (2009). Experience-based Human Capital and Social Capital of Outside Directors. Journal of Management, Vol. 35 (4), 981- 1006. http://jom.sagepub.com/
- Sundaramurthy, C. (2008). Sustaining Trust in Family Businesses. Family Business Review, Vol. 21 (1), 89-102.
- Sundaramurthy, C., Dean, M. A. (2008). Family business openness to external influence and international sales: An empirical examination. Multinational Business Review, Vol. 16, 89-106.
[The information on this page is provided by the user and is not to be construed as an official statement by San Diego State University. The user takes full responsibility for the information presented.]