Bongsik Shin, Ph.D.
Bongsik Shin is a professor of MIS at San Diego State University (SDSU). He earned a Ph.D. from the University of Arizona. For 20+ years, he has been teaching cybersecurity, enterprise network management, business intelligence (data warehousing & data mining, statistics), decision support systems, electronic commerce, and IT management & strategy both for undergraduate and graduate students. In 2017, he was chosen for a Teaching Excellence Award by the Fowler College of Business.Read More…
His academic activities have been funded by 27 internal and external grants. He has published 30+ research articles in such top quality journals as MIS Quarterly, IEEE Transactions Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Communications of the ACM, Journal of Association for Information Systems, European Journal of Information Systems, Journal of Management Information Systems, Information Systems Journal, Information & Management, and Decision Support Systems. Based on the past 10-year record (2007~2016), he was ranked 88th in the world in terms of publications on the Basket of Top 6 information systems journals. His recent research efforts have been all about cybersecurity on such subjects as cyber threat intelligence and threat modeling. In 2017, as the principal investigator, he (along with 2 Co-PIs) was given a 3-year $310k grant from the Department of Defense to conduct research on "Actionable Intelligence-Oriented Cyber Threat Modeling" and develop a prototype system.
He has authored books of 'A Practical Introduction to the Enterprise Network and Security Management' (CRC Press, 2017) and 'Principles of Computer Networking and Network Security: Practice Orientation' (Montezuma Publishing, 2010). In 2016, he served as a co-chair of Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), one of the three largest MIS conferences with about 1000 attendees from 40+ countries.
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, Management Information Systems.
- Shin, B. (2017). A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Network and Security Management. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis.
- Choi, B., Kwon, O., & Shin, B. (2017). Location-Based System: Comparative Effects of Personalization vs. Ease of Use. Telematics and Informatics, 34(1), 91-102.
- Shin, B., Lee, S., Lee, H. G. (2016). Examining an extended duality perspective regarding success conditions of IT service. International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 36 (2), 226-239.
- Lee, N., Li, S., Shin, B., Kwon, O. (2016). Social Comparison, Goal Contagion, and Adoption of Innovative Information Technology. Journal of Computer Information Systems, Vol. 56 (2), 127-136.
- Kim, G., Shin, B., Shin, S. (2015). Testing a Theory of Bi-directional Trust Transfer in Online Marketplace. The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 15 (5), 75-99.
- Kwon, O., Lee, N., Shin, B. (2014). Data Quality Management, Data Usage Experience and Acquisition Intention of Big Data Analytics. International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 34 (3), 387-394. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0268401214000127
- Kim, G., Shin, B., Kwon, O. (2013). Investigating the Value of Sociomaterialim in Conceptualizing IT Capability of a Firm. Journal of Management Information Systems.
- Kim, H., Shin, B., Lee, H. (2013). The Mediating Role of Psychological Contract Breach on the Success of IS Outsourcing: Inter-firm Governance Perspective. European Journal of Information Systems.
- Shin, B., Kim, G. (2011). Examining the reliability of Second-Order Formative Measurement in Structural Equation Modeling. European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 12, 608-623.
- Kim, G., Shin, B., Lee, H., Kim, K. (2011). IT Capabilities, Dynamic Capabilities, and Firm Financial Performance. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 12 (7), 487-517.
- Lee, S., Shin, B., Lee, H. (2011). Boundary Spanning Role of the IS Implementation Team in Consultant Partnered Projects: Knowledge Sharing Perspective. International Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 7 (2), 22-48.
- Shin, B. (2010) Principles of Computer Networking: Practice Orientation. 1. Montezuma Publishing.
- Kim, G., Shin, B., Grover, V. (2010). Assessing the Reliability of Formative Measurement in Structural Equation Modeling. MIS Quarterly, Vol. 34 (2), 345-365.
- Sawng, Y., Om, K., Shin, B., Lee, J. (2010). Discontinuous Innovation and Market Chasm: the Case of Digital Convergence Services. Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology, Vol. 42 (3), 219-239.
- Shin, Y., Lee, S., Shin, B., Lee, H. (2010). Examining Influencing Factors of Post-Adoption Usage of Mobile Internet, Focusing on the User Perception of Supplier-Side Attributes. Information Systems Frontiers, Vol. 12 (5), 595-606.
- Kim, G., Shin, B., Lee, H. (2009). Understanding Dynamics between Initial Trust and Usage Intentions of Mobile Banking. Information Systems Journal, Vol. 19 (3), 283-311.
- Lee, S., Shin, B., Lee, H. (2009). Understanding Post-adoption Usage of Mobile Data Services, The Role of Supplier-side Variables. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 10 (12). http://aisel.aisnet.org/do/search/?q=Understanding%20Post-adoption%20Usage%20of%20Mobile%20Data%20Services%2C%20The%20Role%20of%20Supplier-side%20Variables&start=0&context=509566
- Shin, B., Lee, H., Higa, K. (2007). Telework vs. central work: A comparative view of media usage for knowledge access. Decision Support Systems, Vol. 43 (3), 687-700.
- Lee, H., Shin, B., Higa, K. (2007). Telework vs. central work: A comparative view of media usage for knowledge access. Decision Support Systems, Vol. 43 (3), 687-700.
- Kim, G., Shin, B., Lee, H. (2006). A study of factors that affect user intentions for email service switching. Information and Management, Vol. 43 (7), 884-893.
- Shin, B., Lee, H. (2005). Ubiquitous Computing-Driven Business Models: A Case of SK Telecom's Financial services. International Journal of Electronic Markets, Vol. 15 (1), 1-9.
- Shin, B., Dick, K. (2005). A Comparison of the Business Strategies of Two Telecommunication Service Providers. Journal of Information Technology Cases and Applications, Vol. 7 (2), 19-30.
- Shin, B., Higa, K. (2005). A Comparative Study on Meeting Scheduling: Face-to-Face, Automatic Scheduler and E-mail Based Coordination. Journal of Organizational Computing & Electronic Commerce, Vol. 15 (2), 137-159.
- Hwang, K., Shin, B., Kim, K. (2005). Ubiquitous Computing-Driven Business Models: An Analytical Structure & Empirical Validations. Journal of Information Technology Applications & Management, Vol. 12 (4), 105-121.
- Hwang, K., Shin, B., Amoroso, D. (2004). Evaluating E-business Models from Cross-Cultural (Korea vs. US) Perspective. " Journal of Information Technology Applications & Management, Vol. 11 (1), 83-100.
- Higa, K., Shin, B. (2003). The Telework Experience in Japan. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 46 (9), 233-242.
- Shin, B. (2003). An Exploratory Investigation of System Success Factors in Data Warehousing. Journal of Association for Information Systems, Vol. 6 (4), 141-170.
- Shin, B. (2002). Managing the Data Warehousing Project: A Case Study. Information & Management, Vol. 39 (7), 581-592.
- Reinig, B., Shin, B. (2002). Improving GSS Research Through Process Modeling and Longitudinal Validation: An Empirical Investigation of Relationships among Group Processes and Their Outcomes. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 19 (2), 303-325.
- Dick, K., Shin, B. (2001). Implementation of the Telecommunications Management Network (TMN) at WorldCom: Strategic Information Systems Methodology Focus. Journal of Systems Integration, Vol. 10 (4), 329-354.
- Shin, B., Sheng, O., Higa, K. (2000). Telework-Existing Research and Future Directions. Journal of Organizational Computing & Electronic Commerce, Vol. 10 (2), 85-101.
- Higa, K., Sheng, O., Shin, B., Figueredo, A. J. (2000). Software Engineers’ Media Use and Their Perception on the Work Productivity under Telework Environment. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 47 (2), 163-173.
- Shin, B., Higa, K., Sheng, O., Ide, T. (1999). Analyzing the Media Usage Behavior of Telework Groups: A Contingency Approach. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 29 (1), 127-139.
- Nazem, S., Shin, B. (1999). Data Mining: New Arsenal for Strategic Decisions. Journal of Database Management, Vol. 10 (1), 39-42.
- Luo, D., Shin, B., Wolcott, P. (1999). A Holistic Evaluation Scheme for the Components of an Enterprise Data Warehouse System: A Theory Based Approach. Journal of Data Warehousing, Vol. 4 (3), 44-62.
[The information on this page is provided by the user and is not to be construed as an official statement by San Diego State University. The user takes full responsibility for the information presented.]