Stories and Articles

Honoring Fowler’s Best Teachers

Three SDSU faculty members were recently honored with the 2017 Fowler College of Business Teaching Excellence Award.

Marketing professor, Paula Peter; management lecturer, Bill Sannwald; and management information systems professor, Bongsik Shin were chosen for the annual award based on a list of criteria that includes their “demonstrated command of their subject matter, skill in organizing and delivering materials, and incorporation of ethical and global perspectives” into their teaching agendas.

The winners were chosen by the members of the college’s Faculty Development Committee and were presented with their awards on January 22, 2018. All professors and lecturers maintain significant and professional engagement are eligible to apply for the award. 

Dr. Paula Peter
Awards are nothing new to Dr. Paula Peter. Peter was the recipient of the SDSU Faculty-In-Residence Contribution award in 2013 and the SDSU Student Affairs Staff Award in 2012. She has been called “the best professor at SDSU” and a “knowledgeable and helpful professor” by her students.

“It is an honor to receive this award and I am humbled by this recognition from my peers,” said Peter. “I know we all strive for impact, innovation, and engagement and the excellence that characterizes our faculty in the Fowler College of Business makes this award even more meaningful.”

She currently teaches consumer behavior and marketing communications to undergraduates, and product development/innovation to MBA students.

Dr. Paula Peter

Dr. Paula Peter

Bill Sannwald
One of the Fowler College of Business’ longest serving faculty members, Bill Sannwald has been with SDSU as a business lecturer since 1981. Sannwald was chosen to receive an Outstanding Professor award from Associated Students in 2010 and has been chosen as the “Most Influential Faculty Member” by four times by the top management or marketing undergraduate student at commencement.

“When I received the email telling me that I was selected for the award, I was elated and humbled,” recalled Sannwald. “Elated because it meant I was recognized for what I consider my most important job: meeting the needs of my students.  And humbled, because there are so many outstanding faculty members that are worthy of recognition that I felt honored to be in their company.”

He currently teaches business ethics, organizational behavior and international business strategy to undergraduates.

Bill Sannwald

Bill Sannwald

Dr. Bongsik Shin
Management information systems professor, Bongsik Shin has earned a reputation as one of the Fowler College of Business’ top researchers and he is also an outstanding teacher as well.  Shin is known as a “good guy” who “genuinely cares about his students.” Another student reported that Shin “loves his students and they love him back.”

“I feel very fortunate to receive this award given the fact there are so many excellent teachers here at the college,” said Shin. “Receiving this award is a cherished experience and is one of the defining moments of my career.”

Shin teaches cybersecurity and data communications and statistics to undergraduate and graduate students.

Dr. Bongsik Shin

Dr. Bongsik Shin