John Francis is an Associate Professor of management for the College of Business Administration. Prior to coming to SDSU, Dr. Francis taught at Iona College in the New York City area, Mississippi College and the University of Memphis. He teaches International Management, Business Policy and Strategy, and Entrepreneurship. He graduated with his bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Montevallo in Alabama. He received his Masters in Business Administration from Samford University in Alabama and his Ph.D. from the University of Memphis.Read More…
His work experience includes positions in project management and financial analysis for BE&K Inc. and Rust International, international engineering and construction firms. Dr. Francis also spent three years doing research and program development for the Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) at The University of Memphis. Francis has published several peer-reviewed articles and has spoken at numerous international conferences. His research focusing primarily on turnaround strategies for declining firms, international mergers and acquisitions and foreign market entry strategies.
- Ph.D., University of Memphis, Management.
- Musteen, M., Datta, D., Francis, J. (2014). Early internationalization by firms in transition economies into developed markets: The role of international networks. Global Strategy Journal, Vol. 4, 221-237.
- Galvin, B. M., Francis, J. (2014) Narcissism, perceptions and entrepreneurial intentions. USASBE, Fort Worth, Texas (Presenter)
- Francis, J. (2014) The history and administrative structures of the SDSU X-Team. SDSU (Thesis Committee member).
- Desai, A., Francis, J. (2014). Performance Decline And Changes In Corporate Governance Structure: Testing The Theory-Practice Linkage From A Historical Perspective. Journal of Academic and Business Ethics, Vol. 14 (4).
- Dibrel, C., Mukjherji, A., Mukherji, J., Francis, J. (2013). Overbidding in cross-border acquisitions: Misperceptions in assessing and valuing knowledge. Journal of World Business, Vol. 48 (1), 39-46. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090951612000429
- Sundaramurthy, C., Zheng, C., Musteen, M., Francis, J., Rhyne, L. (2012) Bricolage and Social Value Creation Across Countries. Academy of Management Meetings
- Francis, J. (2011). Is Major League Soccer Repeating the Mistakes of the North American Soccer League?. Sports as Business:International, Professional and Commercial Aspects.
- Sundaramurthy, C., Zheng, C., Musteen, M., Francis, J., Rhyne, L. (2011) Bricolage and Social Value Creation Across Countries. Strategic Management Society, San Diego, CA (Presenter)
- Francis, J. (2011) An investigation of the moderating effects of nations on the relationship between work family conflict and satisfaction outcomes. SDSU (Masters Thesis Committee Member).
- Francis, J., Baker, W. (2010) Learning Capabilities, External Social Capital and Foreign Entry Performance. 2010 Academy of International Business, Rio Di Janiero, Brazil
- Francis, J., Zheng, C. (2010). Learning Vicariously From Failure: The Case of Major League Soccer and the Collapse of the North American Soccer League. Group & Organization Management, Vol. 35 (5), 542-571.
- Musteen, M., Francis, J., Datta, D. K. (2010). The influence of international networks on internationalization speed and performance: A study of Czech SMEs. Journal of World Business, Vol. 45 (3), 197-205.
- Musteen, M., Francis, J., Datta, D. K. (2010) International networks and the “born global” phenomenon: Evidence from a transition economy. Academy of International Business, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Musteen, M., Francis, J., Datta, D. (2010) International Networks And The “Born Global” Phenomenon: Evidence From A Transition Economy. 2010 Academy of International Business, Rio Di Janiero, Brazil
- Lee, K., Francis, J. (2010) Global public Private Partnerships (GPPPs): An exploratory analysis of MNE/NGO alliances abroad. SDSU (Chair Masters Thesis).
- Francis, J., Mukjherji, A., Mukherji, J. (2009). Getting partners to take action in inter-firm relationships. Competitiveness Review, Vol. 19 (3), 185-202.
- Francis, J., Mukjherji, A., Mukherji, J. (2009). Influences on the performance of U.S.-Mexico border small medium sized enterprises. International Business Review, Vol. 18 (4), 331-343.
- Francis, J., Zheng, C. (2009). An institutional perspective on foreign direct investment: A multi-level framework. Management International Review, Vol. 49 (5), 565-584.
- Francis, J., Desai, A. (2009) Learning from the past: How effective are structural changes in corporate governance. Academy of Management conference, Chicago, IL
- Francis, J., Mariola, E. (2009) Decline, turnaround, and CEO turnover. Multinational Finance Conference, Athens, Greece
- Francis, J., Mukherji, J., Zheng, C. (2009). Isomorphism at Multiple Levels: An Institutional Perspective of Foreign Market Entry. Management International Review, Vol. 49 (5), 565-584.
- Francis, J. (2008). Mutual adaptation in Buyer-Supplier relationships. Journal of Business Research, Vol. 61 (2), 154-161.
- Francis, J., Mukjherji, A., Mukherji, J. (2008) Competitive advantage through reputation building in small and medium Enterprises. Academy of Management conference, Anaheim, CA
- Francis, J. (2008) Globalizing Sport: Learning from the North American Soccer League collapse. International Sports Business at the Academy of In, Milan, Italy
- Management Assessment Committee
- International Business Program Advisory Committee
- CBA Faculty Development Committee
- Zahn Incubator Faculty Mentor
- Chair, CBA Faculty Development Committee
- Director, Small Business Consulting Center
[The information on this page is provided by the user and is not to be construed as an official statement by San Diego State University. The user takes full responsibility for the information presented.]